The Bells of Peover is believed to date to 1839. It was called Warren de Tabley Arms at one time and still has the de Tabley family crest painted near the top of the front wall. The landlord in 1871 was a George Bell whose family were brewers of beer on the premises and owners of several public houses in the area. His ghost is reputed to haunt the present beer cellar!
The pub is situated opposite the church of St Oswald. Founded in 1269 and built of Cheshire 'magpie' construction with a Norman sandstone tower, its medieval bible chest was hewn from a Cheshire oak tree.
In the early months of 1944, when American soldiers were billeted at nearby Peover Hall, their commanders, General Eisenhower and General Patton, made plans for the D-Day invasion of Normandy over lunch here. This is the reason why the flag of the United States flies alongside the British.
Wedding Open DaySaturday 1st November
We are holding a Wedding Open Day on Saturday 1 November from 11am-4pm. Everyone is welcome!